My Rel=Author Disappeared, Why?
The only other post that I’ve written on implementing rel=author is back in 2012 on how long it took for my photo to show up after putting that extra line of code on my site, verifying my email address and adding jacksonlo.com to my contributor list on Google+. All was fine until recently I discovered my photo went missing from the SERPs:
Yikes! I went through a process to diagnose this issue and luckily I found the error rather quickly. Here was my process:
*Note: My site is on WordPress and this is a WordPress update issue.
- Put my homepage through the Google Rich Snippet Tool (be sure to get the bookmarklet by AJ Kohn – super handy!) and indeed something bad happened
- Check the source code to make sure rel=author tag was present in the <head> (check!)
- Check Google+ profile page to see if my email was still verified and a link to my blog wasn’t removed (check!)
- Head into WordPress and look at my User settings (Users > Your username). This is where the issue was. WordPress must have initiated an update (likely around version 3.5.2) at some point to ask for the full Google+ profile URL instead of the only the account number.
Putting my homepage through the rich snippet tool once more after the correction:
It’s probably safe to say that it’s important to keep an eye on how your pages are appearing in the results to maximize your potential to get someone to click through and read your content. I will check back in a couple days to see if the results will have updated by then. Likely, if I get some shares here on this post that can increase the chances for Google to crawl my site again and notice that fix 🙂
UPDATE – July 18, 2013
My photo started appearing again in the search results! It took a total of 3 days.
July 15, 2013 / Jackson Lo / 2