Last night, I met up with my good friend, Filip Mares, after receiving a very urgent request for us to meet in the next 5 days (I thought the world's gone wrong or something). The reason is that he is moving down to Palo Alto, California to work with Alphonso Labs, a company that's known for their mobile RSS application, Pulse. Way to put yourself out there! Now you've got yourself a dream job working out of Silicon-Valley 'woot woot'. For those of you who don't know what Pulse is, here's a quick teaser I found of their product:
I remember Filip telling me about Pulse months back, but I didn't look further into it because I was still on my BlackBerry at the time. Now that I've switched over to the iPhone 4, I can now syndicate my RSS feeds from Google Reader and read my articles on the go! Wicked!
I downloaded the Pulse application today and I am impressed with what I've seen of it so far. I don't have an iPad to try it on, but man does it look sexy. Here's an image I snatched from Google Images:
What I like about Pulse:
- UI (user interface) is very clean and intuitive for anyone to use
- Portrait (3 feeds) and landscape (2 feeds) mode gives you two choices on how you want to scroll through your feeds
- Sharing articles on Pulse is very easy with two taps (via Facebook, Twitter, etc)
- Unlike the Mashable application where you have to slide down to get an update on your feed, you slide sideways on Pulse
- You can update multiple feeds simultaneous if you have hold down three fingers and pull your feeds to the right (or you can just click on the refresh button, that works too. If you are selective and only want to update two or three of your feeds, then you do the multi finger sliding )
- Sync your Google Reader feeds into Pulse (allowing you to select which ones to add and automatically updating your Google Reader on those articles you have read)
- Easily sort and order your feeds in which ever order you want them to display on your screen
What I think can be added, improved upon or things I couldn't figure out:
Video support: Currently Pulse does not support videos in their feed. This would be a nice feature to have and you can watch videos from your Google Reader, I believe it would add value if it was in Pulse as well. Will this be in the next release?
Image on the front page: How can a WordPress site make use of the image that is usually displayed in the feed for each article along with the title? WordPress usually has a 'featured image' option that allows you to make small excerpts, but this won't do it for Pulse as I tried with my own blog (the image doesn't show up). Is there a way? If so how?
Remove multiple feeds at once: Is it possible to be able to remove multiple feeds by selecting a bulk of them and 'remove all' instead of click each one individually? I think over time when people lose interest in following a blog, or multiple blogs, they will want to clean up/update their list of feeds. It could save time if we don't have to click edit + delete 50 times to remove 25 blogs, instead tap 25 + 2 to remove all selected. Is it worth putting in?
Google Reader syndication: It's very simple sync your subscriptions from Google Reader to Pulse. The only issue I had in the process was after I added my email address and tapped the done button, it tried to authenticate my credentials before it asked for my password. Oops, was this a mistake? Here's what it looked like on my screen:
If it makes our life simpler, I think most people will jump onto it. Having not used it for very long (less than a day), I can see some good things coming out of this application. We'll see where this product goes
Congratulations Filip! All the best to you and your endeavors. Make sure you find a nice place to live in Cali, and make sure there is a spare guest room
Have you tried out Pulse yet on your iPhone? If not, Download in the app store! It's FREE! If you have used it, what do you like / dislike about Pulse? Share your thoughts!
If you enjoyed this post, you might be interested also in reading Filip's Pulse News Mini Video Evaluation. Enjoy!